July is UV Safety Month and a reminder to stock up on sunscreen and after-sun lotions to keep your kids safe and soothed all summer long. July 2021’s Parents magazine, available on the Flipster app in Herrick Library’s electronic catalog , devotes a four-page spread (pp. 22–26) to the most gentle and effective products for your baby and kids.
After testing almost 300 items for skin and hair on 55 families, Parents came up with the best products for all budgets, including the best sunscreen spray (Banana Boat Kids Mineral Enriched SPF+) and the best hand soap for washing off everything from germs to mud (Baby Dove Care & Protect Hypoallergenic Foaming Hand Wash).
And just in time for the Tokyo Olympics is an article on five-time Olympic gold medalist, cancer survivor, and new dad Nathan Adrian. In “Nathan Adrian’s Victory Lap,” Adrian, a competitive swimmer and one of the best U.S. sprinters in Olympic history, discusses how his illness with testicular cancer could have compromised his fertility and prevented the joy of fatherhood with newborn daughter, Parker. Both are featured on the cover.
Also in the July issue of Parents is helpful advice from experts on how to ease children back into the world after the global pandemic. “Guiding Them Through the Big Return” (pp. 15–20) acknowledges the fear and frustrations kids and teens have dealt with this past year-and-a-half—a good chunk of time in a child’s life. The article recommends ways that parents can help their kids cope so a return to “normal” life goes smoothly.
Other helpful articles in the July Parents include:
- “Water Play All Day!”: Suggestions on backyard games and fun activities with water
- “Next Up: The COVID-19 Vaccine for Kids”: FAQs with top experts answering the vaccine questions most parents have on their minds
- “The Potty-Training Shortcut”: A crash course in potty-training that speeds through the process
In addition to its usual features, including Ages + Stages, which helps guide moms and dads through parenting challenges with kids ages zero to 12, this edition of Parents also includes:
- Delicious summertime recipes
- Hair advice on how to rock the “mom bun”
- A shopping feature on new home goods, clothing, and toys that celebrate diversity
- Yummy ice cream treats the family will love in honor of National Ice Cream Day on July 18
Check out the latest edition of Parents—as well as issues in its archives and many more magazines—all instantaneously available to you through the Flipster app from Herrick Library. Your library card is all you need to be able to read.